California Language Academy History
California Language Academy was founded in July of 2010 by a husband (Ari Olgun) and wife (Alissa Olgun) team with the mission of providing personalized, intimate, and engaging language learning services.
Alissa Olgun has management and teaching experience with over ten years of working knowledge in the foreign language education industry. She earned a CELTA certificate, a Masters of Education degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and continues to further her education in order to keep current in the relevant and exciting changes to the field.
Ari Olgun has the business background. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management and a Master’s degree in Accounting from University of Notre Dame. He also holds an active CPA license. His expertise enables California Language Academy to be a successful, low cost language academy that is able to pass savings on to students.
One day I asked Alissa what she would really want to do in her life and what she was passionate about. She replied: “I would love to open a language school with personalized lessons.” So, I said: “Ok, let’s do it!”… and that is how it all started.
~ Ari Olgun, Co-Founder of CLA
Together, we have established a high-quality, family owned and operated language school that offers small class sizes to meet the individual needs of each student’s learning goals and objectives. We employ highly qualified and dedicated instructors and our comprehensive curricula are designed to build students’ skills and self-confidence when communicating in English or a foreign language in either an academic or professional setting.
Our main services are:
- Instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL),
- Test preparation for international students,
- On-site business English training to local businesses,
- Study-tour packages for short term international groups, and
- Foreign language training courses.
California Language Academy Philosophy
We believe language is living and vibrant. It must be EXPERIENCED in order to be fully appreciated and understood.
We further believe that learning a language is not just done through a book, but through reading, writing, speaking, and listening to the language (the four learning objectives).
In order for students to succeed, our programs are structured into small and engaging classes in which students interact in a learning environment while mastering the four learning objectives. Each week we adapt the class syllabi to incorporate current events and “hot topics” of the week to show students how to immediately apply their language skills in the real world.
At California Language Academy, you are not just a student, but part of a family!
We also incorporate planned social activities and cultural outings into our weekly lessons so that students experience the language and learn to confidently apply their language skills.
California Language Academy is unique because it is a family-owned and operated business where our team is friendly, professional, attentive and highly responsive. Our schedule is flexible, and the quick assessment of student skills and challenges creates a more “catered” client service.
For foreign students, young professionals, employees of local businesses and international travelers to the United States who want to improve their English language skills, California Language Academy is a language school that offers measurable, highly personalized, immediately practical and socially relevant language study programs in individualized class settings, study-and-travel group packages and on-site business programs.
California Language Academy Mission
California Language Academy is passionate about the success of each of our students. Our mission is to provide high quality, personalized language training that can be immediately applied in the real world. At California Language Academy, you are not just a student, but part of a family!
- To provide high-quality, proven language instruction with a student centered teaching methodology.
- To hire, train, grow, and retain the most passionate, professional, friendly, and encouraging teachers and staff to carry out our stated mission.
- To provide a variety of programs, schedules, and options to match the needs of each and every students.
- To provide individual and personalized attention in a small classroom setting to meet the goals and expectations of our students.
- To provide a warm, welcoming, and clean facility that is conductive to an interactive learning environment.
- To provide the necessary analytical tools to show continued improvement and encourage self-confidence.
- To ensure that students complete their program having had a positive and fulfilling experience with a high rating of our school.
- To provide a wide variety of activities that inspire our students to apply their learned language in the real world.